I love popcorn & I have tried a million times to make perfect popcorn on the stove, the old-fashioned way, and I have always ended up burning it (which is the worst smell ever) or the popcorn kernels would stop popping before all of them had popped.
Our Central Reservations Manager, Reta Coetzee who is 8 months pregnant, loves popcorn. More days than not she has this popcorn craving. Her popcorn is perfect & fluffy and hot and oh so buttery.
After nagging her for weeks on end she eventually divulged and told me her secret to perfect popcorn making. I must confess after trying out her method, I will never ever try making popcorn any other way. Not only did I not burn the popcorn, all of my kernels popped. Eventually I got a bowl of warm buttery perfect stovetop popcorn.
I poured a buttery honey sauce over the popcorn because I love mixing sweet with my salty. I used sea salt and loved the fact that some of the bites had big flakes of salt on them. It was so good, no better than good – now I have a new Sunday late afternoon movie snack.
Reta’s Perfect Fluffy Popcorn
1/4 cup coconut oil (or canola)
2/3 cup popcorn kernels
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or sea salt)
• Add the coconut oil and 3 popcorn kernels to a large pot.
• Cover and cook over medium-high heat until all 3 kernels pop.
• Remove the three kernels from the pot.
• Add the rest of the popcorn kernels.
• Cover and take the pot off of the heat.
• Wait 30 seconds.
• Put the pot back on the heat.
• Cook, while shaking the pot occasionally until the popping slows down.
• After about 2 minutes, the popping should have slowed down
• Remove the lid slowly (this lets the steam out and keeps the popcorn crisp)
• While the popcorn is busy popping, melt the butter and add the honey.
• Pour warm mixture over the popcorn and sprinkle with salt.
• Toss until completely coated. (you could do this in a large paper bag)
What’s your favourite way to dress up a bowl of popcorn?
Do you like it sweet with a caramel or chocolate sauce or spicy and cheesy? Perhaps you add nuts and chocolate or smarties? Do you prefer popcorn balls? Maybe you like it super fancy with truffle oil or you use popcorn in new and creative ways – like as croutons in salad or in granola? You might not don’t necessarily have a favourite flavour but have a special way of popping the popcorn. If it’s popcorn-related, please tell us about it
Every Friday, is POPcorn Friday at Guvon Hotels & Spas Head Office (yes, we serve freshly popped popcorn!) and the fun ritual created by the Marketing Office has become the most POPular place to be.
Click here to view our Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/guvonhotelsandspas/